Monday, November 14, 2005

Vodka defeats the king of the beasts

As I never can recall what nittany means, one would think I'd use Wonk's review of Penn State as an excuse to unravel the mystery of the word. But a mere 30 seconds of online research has reminded me about Pennsylvania's Mount Nittany. So much for that.

However, always one to rise to the occasion, Wonk came through with a gem that, mysteriously, was among the subjects I discussed while at Lemming's on Friday evening. [Brief review of Lemming's: Good draft beer selection, nice "atmosphere" with local artists' work on the walls, but poor actual atmosphere -- the smoke all but wafts out the front door.] Already aware of one use of the word -- the drink with vodka and lime juice -- I learned of another. Wonk has now introduced me to a third.

gimlet adj. having a piercing quality. (more)

Extra credit to anyone that can elegantly use this word in reference to something other than eyes.

For fantasy aficionados (of a sort), I also stumbled across one more meaning. [My favorite Lord Of The Rings-related joke is the Tolkien version of "Why did the chicken cross the road?" from the e-mail that circulated in 1996. Good luck finding it online, though -- it must have split off rather late in the forward evolutionary tree.]

No comments: