Wednesday, November 16, 2005

One actress to bind them

Aragorn, son of Arathorn, was a brave fighter, a compelling leader, and an honorable man. An all-around smart guy, I would say. But I'm still trying to figure out what he saw in Arwen.

Granted, it has been several life-ages since I read The Lord Of The Rings. But in the books Arwen was a character with virtually no depth. Her role in the movies is oddly beefed up, but there is still no explanation of why she and Aragorn fell in love. And for some reason, Peter Jackson decided to cast Liv Tyler as Arwen, to whom this Brian Griffin quote certainly applies: "I leave more personality in tightly-coiled piles on the front lawn."

I have no issue with Aragorn's fidelity to Arwen -- aside from being the right thing to do, it's completely in character for him. But don't you think he must have been struggling for a while after meeting Éowyn? And not just because she iced the Witch-king. Aragorn will be king -- which of these two women seems more like a queen?

Something tells me that when Aragorn became betrothed to Arwen, he was still of the young mindset, "Hey, I landed an Elf chick, I could definitely live with this." For his sake, I just hope there really was more to it than that. Personally, I'd rather be Faramir. Yes, he was almost burned alive by his own father, but he also lived out his days with Éowyn. I'd say it was worth it.

And in retrospect, maybe casting Liv Tyler was the best possible decision. After all, there are few actresses that can successfully portray a porcelain doll.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good short persuasive writing! I like it.

-J-