Saturday, December 13, 2008

Day 1: It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Legos

--------
Intro: The 12 Days Of Christmas Memories
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Closing
--------

One year in the mid-80's, I had my eye on Robot Command Center. While it's not like this was the coolest Lego set ever -- that was the earlier Galaxy Commander (drool...) -- it was still a big deal to me. I used to read Lego catalogs before going to sleep at night. Every night. And as I was just a kid, the only way I was getting my hands on this set was through the grace and will of Santa Claus. It was only that year, though, that I had learned the secret of Santa Claus (I think Just For Men names it "Jolly White"...and yes, this will be a recurring joke, where I mention the secret of Santa Claus and then make up something else in parentheses). As I was still flush with this knowledge, it was kind of obvious why our family drove to Toys 'R Us on an early December evening. And as I was also a know-it-all...

When we arrived at Toys-R, I probably did my usual thing -- walk down the long games aisle...look at a few things, especially the electronic chess sets behind the glass...and then book it across the back of the store to the last aisle on the far side of the store: the Lego aisle. I don't know how to describe the Lego aisle other than...well...it was kind of like the scene in Rush Hour 2 where they raise the curtain and Chris Tucker gets to choose from all the...well, let's just say that if Mom ever lost me in that store, she knew where to find me. So I spent my usual several minutes looking at the box for Robot Command Center, opening the front flap that revealed the pieces within and more alternate creations on the inside cover, and checking out a few other sets as well. Eventually my parents wandered over with my brothers and dragged me to other parts of the store. Later, as we're about ready to head toward the exit, I get smart-alecky and decide to prove that I know what's under Mom's coat at the bottom of the shopping cart. I reach in and move the coat, and sure enough, out peeks Robot Command Center. My parents, obviously annoyed at me, scold me and then take it back to the Lego aisle and leave it there. We go through the checkout without it, and we leave the store.

Holy crap, they're serious. Did I really just screw up Robot Command Center? But then, of course, before we can drive away, one of my parents "forgot something" in the store and goes back for it. And they deny, deny, deny, but something goes in the trunk of the car. And wouldn't you know it, on Christmas morning there's a present tucked toward the back of the pile that is of a suspiciously right size. The morning rolls along, the pile shrinks a bit, and I decide to make the move for my mystery box. I give it a little shake, and I hear that sound.

Know what Mom says? "Oh...it's not time for that one yet."

No comments: