Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Boxing Day -- not quite brownies, but close...

Just now I discovered the true meaning of Canada's Boxing Day. And I don't mean in the sense of how the Grinch discovered the true meaning of Christmas. I mean in the sense of why the day is named Boxing Day. It took me so long only because I never drove myself to resolve the uncertainty I felt when considering the name. "Why is it called Boxing Day?" is a question easily displaced by "How many strips of bacon can I have?" and "What do you mean, we're out of batteries?" It wasn't until today that the true meaning was shoved in my face.

The day has nothing to do with prizefighting, as I may have supposed in my early years. The day has nothing to do with Chinese anti-imperialism, as I may have speculated in high school. Boxing Day has to do with the practice of attending church on Christmas Day and leaving the distribution/receipt/opening of gifts (depending on whose story you believe) until the following day. The name arises from the boxes that contain the gifts.

Now that, my friend, is a lightbulb moment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cheese!