Thursday, November 02, 2006

Conflicting opinions are to be embraced

That's right, the Big Ten Wonk Word Of The Day is back. Although this time without hyperlinks, because (1) I'm lazy, and (2) if you can't find Wonk's blog or a dictionary site, I'm amazed you found this one.
The past two seasons of Illinois basketball provide a handy illustration of how continuity can coexist happily alongside change. (How Hegelian!)
For those unfamiliar with this theme of mine...Big Ten Wonk has a penchant for using roughly one word per day with which I am unfamiliar (for whatever that's worth); and whether intentionally or not, he uses the word in a manner outside its traditional meaning.

Hegel was a scientist of philosophy, and I get the feeling I'd need about two semesters to understand his theories. I think basically what he was saying was that contradictions and implications on reality should be explored to reach a more comprehensive understanding of the original concept. So while Illinois lost Deron Williams, Luther Head, Roger Powell, and Jack Ingram, which everyone would expect would make the team worse, their defense was just as good the following year.

Or something like that.

Let's just say I'll never use the word Hegelian on my own.

No comments: