Sunday, March 15, 2009

Shamrock & Coke

This infused vodka took me three days to make, although the vanilla beans may not really need that long to contribute their flavor. My first test batch (in smaller quantity) was way too minty, so I reduced both the amount and time for the mint.

Shamrock Shake vodka

Supplies:
  • two 1-liter glass bottles (I used these)
  • Fine mesh strainer
  • Funnel
Ingredients:
  • 1 liter of decent vodka (I used Smirnoff)
  • 6 vanilla beans
  • 1 teaspoon of dried spearmint
Procedure:
  1. Place vanilla beans in glass bottle.
  2. Fill bottle with vodka, close bottle, shake vigorously, then set aside.
  3. Shake a few times per day for three days. (Not sure how much the shaking really matters.)
  4. After three days, add mint to bottle, close bottle, shake, then set aside for three hours, shaking occasionally.
  5. After three hours, set up the strainer (to catch the mint) above the funnel above the second (empty) bottle.
  6. Slowly pour the vodka from the first bottle through the strainer (into the funnel and second bottle). The goal is to transfer the liquid to the second bottle with as few solid bits as possible, and the strainer's job is made easier if you keep as much of the mint in the first bottle as possible. (Pouring slowly works well enough that I have no interest in using a coffee filter, paper towel, cheesecloth, etc.)
  7. Store at room temperature.
Interesting when sipped. My preferred concoction, however, is...

Shamrock & Coke

Do you really need instructions? Take glass, add ice, add desired amount of vodka, add Coca-Cola. Drink. Tell your friends how awesome it is. When they respond unenthusiastically, pour yourself another one.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Really? Mint and coke together? I was with you on the infusion but you lost me there. I would guess it would be really good with something coffee flavored or like a modified white russian.

Glad you are having fun!